Sunday, May 8, 2011

MOTHER

I have a mother-in-law who is a mother, a sister who is a mother, a mother who is a mother, and a wife who is a mother. They each bring their own identity to - "mother". They each show in their own way what it is to be a mom. Here are some reflections:

My Mother-in-Law: I suppose not everyone can say nice things about their in-laws without lying. Fortunately for me I can say nice things and be honest. Maria is one of the rare ones who is at good listener and easy to talk to, but is also easy to listen to. Maria is a great cook which I am thankful for because it rubbed off on her daughter, my wife. Maria also watches over Samuel three days every two weeks which is a huge sacrifice on her part and is a huge help to us. She says she does not mind and, well, I believe her because, look at the little guy she is watching for that time. She loves the outdoors and is very active which has also rubbed of on her daughter:) Maria is selfless and giving.

My Sister: Okay so as a kid one of her nicknames was "tiny tornado" that gives you an idea as to how her two daughters, my two nieces, like to play. Brooke loves to play with her kids, record them when they do silly things and then post the video to face book. Brooke walks side by side with with her kids. She is the kind of mom who would get out the coloring books for her kids and instead of using it to keep them occupied, she would grab some crayons and start coloring with them. Brooke always wants to spend time with her kids.

My mother: Well, I moved out of the house a while back, but being away for years now I look back and see a few things that I really appreciate. I appreciated the way the house smelled around the big family holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. I appreciated the way the house was decorated (even though we all participated mom was the director of decorations) I appreciated the way my mom would wait on us when we were sick. I still remember getting the small 13inch black and white T.V. for the day when I was home sick. It was a great excuse to watch all the junk on T.V. when I was not really allowed to. I appreciate that my mom chauffeured me around to Soccer, little league baseball, football, and church events. Those are just a few reasons, but altogether she is the reason I have warm and loving feelings and thoughts when I think of the word "mother".

My Wife: So... I am not exactly sure how she does it, but this woman has super powers to rival those of Superman. She gave birth to an amazing baby boy, and six weeks later went back to work to help cover some bills, and was back to work full-time in three months. Working minimum forty hours per week, while at the same time keeping track of a quickly growing bundle of energy who is our son, is a feat of epic proportions. Not only that, but her occasional "experiments" in the kitchen end up like four course works of art - Picasso on a plate!

Her water broke while she was helping that cable guys set up internet in her office... yeah, she was helping them; she gave birth to a baby with no pain medication! In the middle of a snowstorm she straps on our son in a baby carrier and decides to see if she wants to pick up snowshoeing by throwing on my snowshoes and slogging through two feet of snow (while I was shoveling out the car). She decides that snowshoeing is not for her so instead picks up cross-country skiing. The name Sara means princess, but she is really more of a warrior princess. Probably the biggest deal about this new mom; the reason she is a warrior princess, is that she puts up with me and my nutty schedule. I am telling you... super powers...

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers in my life. We would not be here if it were not for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment