Saturday, November 3, 2018

Layover

So I get on this plane... The flight I am taking is too far for a straight shot so I have to stop about three fourths of the way there. My layover is not just a couple of hours it is just over eight hours. So I get a hotel room, a nice bed, a TV where most of the channels are in Arabic and of course a bathroom with two toilets. That is the first time I have seen two toilets in one bathroom. But one of them looked kind of weird, like flushing would have been really odd. I figured I would use the one that looked most familiar when the time came.
So with a long layover there also comes some time to relax for a bit. I decided I should try something Middle Eastern since I was in the Middle East. I found the perfect local thing to try - Turkish coffee. The perfect blend of coffee, some sugar and a touch of Cardamom. It was a wonderful way to reacquaint my pallet to the wonders of middle eastern and eastern flavors and spices. That is until I got to the very last couple of sips when I realized that what was in my cup was not coffee, it was sludge. I actually had to ask the server if drinking that stuff was part of the Turkish coffee experience. He assured me that people don't drink the last few sips. I felt a whole lot better. 
The chocolate croissant was a lot like one I can get at Starbucks - which either says a lot about Starbucks or very little about the airport cafe where I had the coffee. 
Either way my first Turkish coffee was a success, and I look forward to my next one. I am learning so much already. Always look carefully at the apparatus in your bathroom, you don't have to drink the stuff at the bottom of your Turkish coffee.

Just a Meandering Thought...


No comments:

Post a Comment