Wednesday, June 15, 2011

TWO

There are just twelve days until I leave for India... exhale... India is a country I have wanted to visit ever since I was in college and heard of an organization that was attempting to rescue people from the sex-slave trade. They would smuggle women and girls out of brothels and sometimes even purchase them. Can you imagine that, they had to purchase them like a piece of meat in order to have the right to treat them like a human being.

I don't remember the name of the guy who was sharing these stories with us or the organization that he was with, but I knew I wanted to be a part of something that was doing good for those who could not do good for themselves. I was fascinated by the extremes that these people go through to help someone gain freedom. I have heard similar stories over the years since. These experiences plus my interest in travel and culture and history all combines to make India a place of great interest for me.

There are some great organizations doing some great good in India today. My mother is connected with one called the Jubilee Market. This organization teaches individuals how to make a living and support themselves so they can break free form the cycle of abuse and oppression that so many are caught in. Most Americans have no idea what a "normal" life is outside the western world. Maybe I can help shed some light.

While in India I will not be doing any kind of service in this particular area of the culture, but I will be doing some teaching and child who gets an education is one that is far less likely to end up in these circumstance.

Thanks again for your continued support

Just a Meandering Thought...

2 comments:

  1. You will be near Nepal. Nepal is one of, if not the region that is most vulnerable to the exploitation of children and women. It is mostly the poorest families, the lowest casts if you will, that are at the most risk. Women and children from other levels of society can also be kidnaped into this horrible and tragic form of slavery. The world is waking up to this. A lot a light has been shone on this subject. Cultural traditions run deep. I don't know that this practice will ever be eradicated but with all the collective efforts from so many organizations, much can be done to diminish it some.

    I am glad for the tremendous experience you will have while in India. I will be praying for you every day. Stay safe and keep a journal.

    ReplyDelete